View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #28
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
3D Glasses would add nothing to Steinbeck, but then again in a world where the integrated experience was at the fore, who would know of Steinbeck to begin with? Who would travel with Charly, or eat any of those wrathful grapes when they can have instant-on, full experience entertainment? Me, you?
Just about the same people who do now. Why do we read books? We don't have to, there are millions of other things to do that can be just as enjoyable. Many people rarely or never read. Yet we do. Why? Why not? And why would we suddenly stop doing it, just because there is a new gadget available? Why would we stop now if we didn't stop for other kinds of entertainment?

I like to eat Japanese and Vietnamese food and many other types of food. That doesn't stop me from enjoying French food. I might (though I'm not sure about that) enjoy "instant-on, full experience entertainment", but that won't stop me from enjoying books too. I just don't see how one would stop me from the other.

Of course if this kind of entertainment were available, many people would prefer it to books. Just like many people prefer television or video games or Facebook to reading books. Just like people may have preferred other types of distractions a few centuries ago. I don't see anything new in that.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote