View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
B&N is pretty serious about regional restrictions. I just tried to buy a few ebooks from B&N using a US card from overseas...didn't work. Although I could make the purchase, it would not let me download and then immediately canceled the order. So my guess is that they record your IP address at the time you click order.
They do indeed check the IP-address.
As I am interested in this reader I also tried the to buy a book.
First I tried the Fictionwise workaround. Using an USA address with my Dutch credit card. Indeed your order is canceled almost immediately.

Then I tried the same again, but this time I used my USA VPN account from www.alwaysvpn.com (just $8,50 for 5GB data). That way Barnes and Noble sees an USA IP-address.
Now I was able to buy and download the book without a problem!

I am interested in this reader, because I would be able to read books from Fictionwise, Barnes and Noble and from other ePub bookstores. I also like the colourscreen and WIFI. And best of all, even with shipping to the Netherlands, 19% VAT and import duty, it would still be a bit cheaper than the Sony 600 (Nook about E 265,00, Sony 600 E 300,00).

I wonder about the support of only English books. Is this just about the characterset that is supported? That would probably not be a problem for Dutch books. Or do they really check the language of the book (is that even possible)?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote