View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #595
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
I have a problem which I think is linked to the virtual libraries.

I have a list set to "auto populated from books on device", which updates a custom yes/no column on add/remove (#ondevice).

Everything works well if I have no virtual library loaded when I plug my device. But if I load a virtual library and then plug the device, any book not in the virtual library is removed from the list, and their #ondevice value is unset. So the next time I open Calibre, half the books are "missing" from the device according to #ondevice.
It has been a long while since I worked on this plugin but I did make some notes about Virtual Libraries on the release notes, see this post.

From what I recall at the time Virtual Libraries as a plugin developer are a giant pain in the butt for all the complications they cause. It isn't a feature I use personally in calibre so my general lack of enthusiasm for them from not really understanding "why" they came about probably doesn't help things.

As per my notes referenced above IIRC the upshot is that virtual libraries cause a problem with this plugin. So long as you plugin the device with the same virtual library that your list is created for in the cause of one of these "auto" type lists then you should be fine. However it sounds like you have possibly hit one of the pain points.

TBH no-one else in the subsequent posts has given any feedback whatsoever about the decision I made on this. Which either means they don't use virtual libraries either, or they don't use advanced auto population features with them like you do.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote