View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Interesting article with a slightly different slant.

I am still waiting for the articles that mention the benefits of ebooks to libraries. Paper books can cost small libraries and even some larger ones, more than their cover price for each time they are leant out. (Average cost per circulation).

Costs include housing the books, (cost of land/buildings/rent/utilities/shelves/reading tables) . Accessioning the books, (placing scanners, bar codes for checkout, reinforcing covers, the scanners themselves). Books lost or stolen with no fines paid. Staff to shelve, reshelve the books and assist patrons. And then their are incidentals like janitorial staff, accountants and fee collectors.

Most of these items do not apply to ebooks. No storage costs for overdrive book AFAIK although I think their is a fee associated with each circulation. They may expire but they don't deteriorate. I think progressive libraries are realizing these facts which is why we have so many with a good ebook selection. But of course they won't come out and say it for fear of budget cuts.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote