View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Adobe Digital Editions activations

I'm preparing to see if I can make a full time move to using Linux. As I've been moving to open-source software on Windows for almost 10 years, apart from a few exceptions, this would normally not be a problem.

The exceptions are these:
- A chess program (which is going to run forever in an XP VM, without internet)
- Games (these are going on a separate partition, alongside Windows 7)
- Adobe Digital Editions, to be installed on the Win7 partition.

I've just hit CTRL+SHIFT+D to deactivate Digital Editions on this computer. However, it says this:

"Are you sure you want to remove authorisation for this computer? It is possible you will not be able to read items from your library that are protected by Adobe DRM."

OK, fine.... I don't have any. But, it ALSO says this:

"The number of allowed authorisations that you still have, will not be increased when removing this computer's authorisation."

So... what?

edit: This is the screen I'm seeing (in Dutch... although my computer is in English, ADE uses the locale to determine the language. Blergh.)

Are you going to tell me that deactivating ADE does NOTHING to restore used authorisations back to unused?!

I've used 1.7 in the past, when there was no 2.0 => First activation.
Deactivate, upgrade to 2.0 => Second activation.

So I'm down to 4 already?

Now, if I'm deactivating, and then later reactivating the same computer (using a new Windows installation, as I'm not going to image this 5,5 year old install), will bring it down to 3? Next year, if I replace this computer and re-install ADE, it would be down to 2, even if I deactivate ADE first on this computer?

Am I missing something here? That way, I will I run out of activations eventually, even if I am deactivating / reactivating each time? If so... then WHY would there be a deactivation option? What about people who have 2 or more e-readers, and replace them each year because they want the newwest ones? I don't understand.

If I ever need to go beg for Adobe to reset my activations, I will be very angry.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote