View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #106
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
With digital obsolesence, it's not so much that the format becomes unreadable and the medium it is stored on becomes unreadable. I can open an old trunk and pull out a century-old book and still read it. If I pull out an 20 year old piece of digital storage, I might not even be able to find something to load it on.

I was skeptical of the Little Free Libraries, I thought people would just take the books, smash or otherwise vandalize them. But they aren't. When I need to haul out a box full of books, I take them to a friend's Little Free Library. People are very supportive of these, they are nice additions to neighborhoods. Many people decorate them to match their own house.
That is why I like calibre so much. I have my collection of books in one place with tags etc that are saved into the metadata of the book. An epub is just a specially formatted html file with css encased in a zip file. I can always get back to the plain text format.

With all the books in the calibre library I can zip or rar it into one large file which I then store / backup on a usb drive. When I get a new computer with a new form of drive I will then copy those files onto the new system and whatever new format of portable storage there is.

With portable 2 and 4 terabyte hard drives it is easy to have backups of the library on multiple devices. My tablet had a 32 gig sd card for my books and while I don't have "off site" storage, well, if it was a paper library I had, fire would destroy it also.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote