View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #466
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Greed may not be the only reason, but considering Apple, it was probably very high up on the list. The mico SD slot is roughly comparable in size to the SIM slot required for any GSM or UMTS phone. On a phone as big as the iPhone 5 there is probably plenty of room, since many comparably sized competing products have both a SIM and an SD slot, and sometimes even a user replaceable battery. Hellmark was almost certainly correct when he said that the obvious reason to leave out a micro SD slot was because it is much more profitable to gouge the customer for a 16GB to 32GB internal FLASH upgrade.

Greed and price gouging are probably some of the reasons that Apple is doing so poorly in the biggest smartphone market in the work.

LINK
So much fail in this response it's hard to know where to begin.

First, the iPhone 5 uses a nano-SIM, which is 3 times smaller than a regular SIM card and is certainly not at all the same size as a Micro-SD card. Volumetrically, it's half as large. Secondly, I invite you or our esteemed electronics designer to point out where the "plenty of room" in the iPhone 5 chassis is in the following image of its internals:

Click image for larger version

Name:	93302.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	96222
(Click to enlarge)

Then I'd like his or your esteemed opinion of the compromises on, say, battery life that would be required by adding another port.

Second, price gouging is a term that can only apply to a coercive monopoly or to a company that sells essential goods after a supply shock, neither of which apply to Apple. The less intelligent members of this board seem to think that companies are obligated to sell their goods at cost. Their sense of entitlement is endearing but tells us nothing interesting about the value of different goods.

Apple is, of course, the most successful technology company of all time. I honestly don't know why you people even bother trying to deny that at this point, as if the company was going to fall into the sea tomorrow because it doesn't give its products away to disgruntled malcontents. If I cared, and if I owned Apple stock, I would probably be pretty happy with their performance to date. [Insulting remark removed by moderator.]

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-16-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Changed oversized graphic to a thumbnail attachment and removed personal insult.