View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
In my opinion, there should never have been a 8GB N4, but Google probably saw that the 8GB N7 was selling very well and felt that reducing the price as much as possible would appeal to significant market segments. There are a lot of people who only use their smartphones as feature phones, and would be perfectly content with a lower capacity device.
While I agree that offering the 8 GB is more about setting price points than the true cost of memory, I disagree that this is only useful for people who 'only use their smartphones as feature phones'.

I've been using an original Samsung Galaxy S for 2 years now, and I've yet to fill up its 8 GB. I use it for music streaming, DNLA control, tennis TV streaming, voice and meeting recording, gaming, GPS navigation, maps, ebook reading, Zinio magazines, comics, guitar apps, occasional document checking on Dropbox, as well as the usual web browsing, contacts, email, tasks, alarms, time zone checking, social media, and calendar. It's also my camera, provides a mobile wifi hotspot for my netbook, and, yup, my phone.

However, I don't need to keep loads of data on the phone. I delete magazines, books and comics when I've read them. Photos upload automatically, and I prune them off the device later. I use streaming services and cloud storage. And if I'm ever cut off from the cloud there's still plenty on the phone to keep me occupied - in particular, the latest music, as I use a subscription service and download the albums that I want to get to know better, then delete them once I've moved on.

Looking at the Nexus 4, I'm giving the 8 GB version some serious thought.

4G would be nice to have but it will be years before the coverage is useful to me (I live in a rural area).

And in the 2 years I've had the Galaxy S I've not got round to getting a spare battery, so again, while useful I can live without it.

It looks like a good phone to tide me over until 4G does become ubiquitous.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-31-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote