View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
DRM is the reason. The example/model I used - detailed above - is the way a library lends an ebook. This is how it WAS supposed to work for everyone.

When the book is loaned out, the licence count of the lender is decremented by 1. Since, I, as the lender, have only one licence - I can no longer open the book to read it as I now have 0 licences.

The borrower's licence is incremented from 0 to 1, so they can now read the book. After the preset lending period, the reverse happens. The borrower's count decrements to 0 - they cease being able to read the book. The loender's licence increments back to 1, so they can now read the book again.

At NO TIME can 2 people read the same book.
Can you explain how you would do this (ie lend a book to a friend) on the Kobo? I wasn't aware that the Kobo offered this capability; is it something that's been recently introduced?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote