View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The issue I have with this is that the purchaser of a demo Kindle does not have a licence to use the "normal" firmware, and hence this very likely constitutes copyright infringement. But that is of course not a technical matter, but a matter for the conscience of the owner of the Kindle.
If amazon wanted to, they could disallow registering demo kindles the same way they do "lost or stolen" kindles. It is not infringement if you copy your firmware image from another kindle that you own, for your own personal use. Reselling that modified kindle is another matter altogether.

If a demo kindle contains INTENTIONALLY broken firmware, is it immoral to repair it yourself by replacing the "broken" parts? How about when those parts were salvaged from other broken stuff that we own (such as firmware and/or serial number, in this case)?

I think the real moral (and perhaps legal) problem lies in doing this for resale, but not for personal use. A bigger moral problem is selling it without telling the purchaser that it WAS a demo kindle, because amazon COULD disable it later based on its serial number.

I am curious WHY there are a bunch of demo kindles that recently entered the resale market...

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote