View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #67
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I agree that people shouldn't call something crap or use other such vulgar language, but disagree that negative reviews based on lacking features shouldn't be written.
I'm totally with you.

I don't have a problem if someone states:
"Kindle Fire HD is not for me. I found I need 3G and an SD expansion slot."
or
"I won't use the Spiegel Magazine app. It's only useful if you buy the magazine. Without buying you can't do much with it."
or
"I don't find enough apps in the Amazon store. I don't want to hack my unit to access Google Play. So I'll send it back and go for Nexus 7 instead."

But some other statements I find not valid or appropriate or logical:
"The Spiegel Magazine app is crap, I have to pay for each issue".
Yes, that's true. But that's exactly what I want to do. And that's exactly what they advertise. And btw: You can't purchase any issues of the Magazine by accident. They won't "steal" from you. You have to open a user account first.
The app does exactly what the developers describe and what I want. Please, dear user, comment this. Don't bash about missing features no one did promise.
or
"2 Euros for renting such an old movie like Monsters, Inc. Those idiots. I'll never by from them".
Everyone can see, that it's 2 Euros. You don't have to comment this. It's more or less the same price everywhere. Whether you buy/rent from Amazon, Google or Apple or the others. No use in commenting this. The prices is what it is. Buy it or not.
And if you really want to comment it: Do so in the Google Movies app for example. But it has nothing to do with a review about a specific movie.

Why do I bother?

First of all, the ratings are off.
In the past you could rely on the average score.
Or check out the few low ratings and get an idea about some deficits of a gadget.
Now you really have to check dozens or even hundreds of reviews to get a feel, whether the reviewers actually rate the unit or something entirely different.

Second of all, I simply find this negativity ("those idiots", "such crap", "those petty thiefs") kind of frustrating, when talking about my hobbies and favorite toys.

And last but not least: I really don't get the the expectations of such consumers. A game, bought for 3 Euros, isn't that good? And they even claim "for such a high price it should be much better"?
What are 3 Euros to you? What do you expect for this kind of money?

Maybe my attitude differs from many users.
But I certainly prefer quality over price.
The attitude described ("for such a high price of 3 Euros I would have expected a better game"), in my opinion is one of the reasons, why quality in so many areas declines.
One of the huge German retailers has a slogan "cheapness is hot".
My saying would be "cheapness leads to cheap and low quality products".
And that's not what I want to have from my gadgets.
I want to have fun.
And I'm willing to invest for quality.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote