View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
sivajayaraman
sivajayaraman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-950 or PRS-650, or even the Kindle 3

Hi all,
I'm a current owner of Sony PRS-900 (the older version of the 9" reader). I like most aspects of the eReader, especially touch navigation, except the readability. I'm considering a new eReader solely for better readability (without glare and with high contrast - I'm getting peeved at the glare and reduced readability in my 900).
I'm not from the US (but will be travelling there and hence can get any reader sold there) and generally don't use wireless connectivity for ereading.
Is the new generation sony significantly more readable (contrast, glare, etc) compared to the old gen? How does new-gen Sony compare with Kindle 3. I've seen some videos comparing PRS-650 and K3 and K3 (in the video) looks to have better contrast. Is it the screen, or, just the fonts used in in K3 that makes it look better?
Assuming that my final decision would be towards Sony, need some help deciding between 650 and 950. I read a mixture of epub and pdf. Although PDF is manageable in my 900, I'm still not as comfortable reading PDFs in that compared to epubs. Is 950 better than 900 (in terms of SW or any other way) for reading PDFs? The only reason to consider 950 than 650 would be an assumption that the extra space in screen would be better for PDFs. If that's not the case, 650 is obviously cheaper and more portable
From reading the threads, I take it that the covers and case that came with 900 won't fit 950 and I would have to buy a new one. Am I right?
I use calibre for ebook management and have collected a lot of epubs (free, as well as bought from Kobo, booksonboard, etc). How difficult/easy is it to convert them to mobi in case I decide to go with K3? Do formatting issues arise?
Sorry for a lot of questions, but I'd like to make an informed decision this time. Feel free to say if my decision to replace 900 itself is flawed.

Thanks,
Siva

Last edited by sivajayaraman; 04-10-2011 at 05:35 AM.
sivajayaraman is offline   Reply With Quote