Thread: 603 PB 603 dislikes
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
So, since there is no apt-get on the PB, where to find the start topics about third party software for the PB?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119973
Read this thread, especially the first post and follow links.
Ask further questions if you do not understand something.

Quote:
Just convert it via Calibre and the embedded fonts are gone?
Yes
I think that opening that epub in built-in FBReader should get rid of those embedded fonts, but I only have older generation PocketBook, so I can't try at the moment.
Quote:
Do you think that are Ubuntu specific fonts or are they perhaps available on all debian systems (running squeeze/aptosid on my network. server still on Lenny))
There is font called "Ubuntu Font".
http://font.ubuntu.com/
Looks familiar, doesn't it? ;-)
*Very* well made by a professional foundry. Lots of manual work done on hinting for small sizes, and it shows when you use it on an e-ink reader. The development was paid for by Canonical.

There is also Droid font, optimised for small screens, the development was paid for by Google, for use on Android operating system. But Droid font looks to cramped to me.
One of many, many places where you can download it.
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender
Mind you, they are not very keen on you downloading those fonts (Google put them under Apache license, so it is OK) because foundry that did those fonts sells one cut of very similar font for fifty bucks. So if you wanted to purchase Regular, Bold, Italics and BoldItalics, you would pay $200. That is the usual price for good fonts. We are spoiled, because on Windows system there are some good quality fonts and some foundries (like SIL) release good fonts (such as Gentium) for free. Also on Linux there are some pretty decent fonts available, many of them courtesy of Red Hat.
I think that very few people realise how much work - very tedious work and very highly qualified work - a good font requires.

Last edited by kacir; 11-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote