View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
benn600
Enthusiast
benn600 is on a distinguished road

Some general questions--ONE DAY AWAY!

It looks like I may only be about 1 day away from getting my Sony Reader! I'm looking forward to it! But, as impatient as I can get--and it has been a week--I want to prepare as much as possible so I am ready to jump right into the goodness.

The best part is that I will be getting it basically the DAY AFTER my last day of school. Couldn't be any better because if it was on the last day, I would actually have it before school (evening classes)--not a good idea. And it's finals now.

1. What do you think of http://www.feedbooks.com ? It seems strange because the pdfs are thousands of pages, have huge text, and there is no margin!
a. Do most books for the Sony Reader average 2-5 times as many pages as the regular paperback version? So if the average 300 page book runs around 1000, then you can read maybe 5 books before recharging? I sincerely doubt I'll go more than a book between charges.

b. In a PDF, text can't really be resized can it? If it did, then it would have to process the entire PDF! Lots of work!

c. Why no margin? Why what appears to be no links to certain page sections?

2. What is the "BEST" way for storing eBooks for the Sony Reader? Does .txt seem to be the most efficient, accessible, and simplest way? It seems like the Sony format is only available from Sony Connect--which I will be buying from I think--but PDFs are common...but text files are very easy to create, too.

3. How do graphics in books work? Are they only available in PDFs or the Sony format? Probably not in a text file...?

4. Any ideas how long the battery lasts with audio playback? Anyone try audiobooks? Is there a good source for free audiobooks? I wish it worked with Audible. I am perfectly willing to pay a reasonable amount for good content but half the time, it has DRM so I can't even use it! I remember a site that had free audiobooks and it's in my bookmarks.

5. Any one or two good things to know? I am a big time techie and the first thing I usually do is explore every menu item.

6. How does the initial battery charge go? I hope it won't take forever!
benn600 is offline   Reply With Quote