View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I threw away nearly 2,000 books about 12 years ago. I had stored many books in my mother's basement over the years, as I moved around quite a bit. Even without those books, I still had many hundreds overflowing my bookshelves. When my mother sold her house, and had to clear things out, I had no way to transport the books to where I now live. I went down to her home, and my brother-in-law came by with a truck so that we could transport the books to a used bookstore. The store was, unusually, closed. At a loss, we took the books out of the truck, and left the open boxes on the sidewalk in front of the closed bookstore. There were some 30 large boxes filled with many lovely books I had collected over the years, most of which I had acquired during the years I worked in a large independent bookstore. I collected books obsessively. Most of the books I left behind I had not even read... I mean, the complete works of Geza Roheim? Honestly, I am much happier in the knowledge that most of my books are now stored on my Dropbox. And I don't buy as hastily, because I am not worried about ebooks going out of print or being otherwise unavailable in the future. Long live ebooks!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote