Thread: vfat.img
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
kveroneau recently mentioned vfat.img in a post, too...
Yes, thanks, I've read them a few days ago, there are three threads so far, that discuss vfat.img. But not in any depth yet, seeing as the product and this forum, is so new. I'm sure that vfat.img is a useless file right now, and that once I root my PE, I'll be able to delete it w/o harm, and even restore it, should I desire. At the very least, the 2.5G regained, will be very handy as extra storage space.

I am however, quite curious why another vfat.img is displayed under "/fridge". My guess is that it's simply a link to the real vfat.img located under "/intstorage". But that's all it is right now...a guess. Yet it does show itself to be a real file 2.5G in size! Which if true, means that internal storage is more than 4 G.

Well, at this point in time, I cannot view all the system files and folders in more than just a rudimentary way. For future reference to anyone who's interested:

- I'd like to know the purpose of root folder "fridge", which seems to be a duplicate copy of "intstorage". Perhaps fridge is a backup?

- What is the actual size of the system storage chip (not just the user data, but the Android OS too).

- Okay, "intsdcard" is clearly where internal data is storage, unless you switch to external storage via a micro SD card. But there is also "extsdcard" under /root, which is empty, and "intstorage" which contains vfat.img and subfolder ".edge".

I pretty much grasp the remaining folders' use, seeing as I am a Linux advocate. In these other folders, there seems to be needless redundancy, thus potential to free up additional storage space. Though of course I could be wrong; I need to learn more about Android's particular behavior, esp. with the Pocket Edge device. But the one big question that stands is this:

There are /two/ vfat.img files listed in the system folders...each 2.5G in size. Those two files alone equal 5G...yet the Entoruage Edge fact sheet claims a total 4G internal memory!

Anywayz, thanks for reading this. I've only had my PE for less than four days, so please forgive my precocious enthusiasm.

Last edited by pewterbot9; 12-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.