View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Second the recommendations for Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar fantasies, and especially Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others. I own the latter twice over in paper in two languages. It's very good and well worth it.

This close to Boxing Day/New Year's, I'm kind of holding out for hopefully another 60% coupon to scoop up the pre-existing stuff on my wishlist, but I finally decided to splurge on two new releases this week:

The Mad Trist: A Romance of Bibliomania

Valdemar's Daughter: A Romance of Mesmerism

Both are by Brian Stableford and sequels to Edgar Allan Poe's stories, with Auguste Dupin investigating Usher and Valdemar, respectively, which sounds pretty interesting.

Frankly, I like Stableford's Biotech Revolution sf stories a lot more than most of his "gothic decadence" stuff, but between the 15% new-release discount and the 50% off coupon, they're cheap enough (I'd only "save" 12 cents each holding out for 60% off the regular price) and besides, Stableford's apparently hit some difficulties lately, having to sell off his lifelong personal science-fiction collection, so every little bit helps, and I don't begrudge the "extra" quarter if helps go towards the infinitesimal royalties he gets.

Also, I'd like to point out his collection Beyond the Colours of Darkness and Other Exotica: 11 entire "gothic decadence" and fantasy stories for only 99 cents, for anyone who's interested in maybe trying out his writing. You can't go wrong with something that gives you a decent range of storytelling samples for only half a buck after coupon.

If you prefer sf, he's also got The Great Chain of Being and Other Tales of the Biotech Revolution for $2.99. It's only 7 stories, but they're longer ones (some novella length) and a couple have been featured in those Gardner Dozois-edited Year's Best Science Fiction collections.

Also for sf/fantasy fans, there's plenty of great stuff available via Wildside Press, e-Reads, Wonderbooks Audio LLC, et al., all DRM-free. If you've ever wanted those Harlan Ellison Dangerous Visions anthologies for half-price, now you know where to get them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote