View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #41
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
It's been a while, but from what I remember Slyarov was arrested after giving his presentation. The charges were around the fact that he was disclosing how Adobe's DRM worked at the time (Slyarov) as well as for distributing circumvention tools (ElcomSoft). Adobe quickly dropped charges, but the case was prosecuted anyway. Although it was developed in Russia, the presentation was given here, and the software was made available for sale here.
Your memory is correct. I am merely suggesting that the argument isn't over yet, and part of what may have swayed the jury was the fact that what they were doing was legal in their own country and their product was simply sold without geographic restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
Which package do you mean? I have no problem with content being watermarked. Apple does it for all of their audio, and that's no longer encrypted. It makes sense, and it's in line with the risks involved.
The one generally associated with The Dark Reverser (and Apprentice Alf). I think it's great that the community is taking that step and clearly stating these tools are for personal use, not for distribution.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote