View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Hrm, I don't think FBReader is trying to do anything fancy. I missed an option earlier -

If you're happy with other ebooks, then either
1. the ebook doesn't include explicit CSS for how to display paragraphs, OR
2. the ebook does include explicit CSS, but it happens to match your preferred style, OR
3. FBReader doesn't support the CSS used in the ebook

The parsing code in FBReader only supports a subset of CSS. For example, it only supports selectors with a single tag and/or class. E.g. "p", ".calibre1", and "p.calibre1". Rules which rely on more complex selectors are going to be ignored. I expect there are more limitations I didn't notice.

I'd be happy to have a look at an example stylesheet + document fragment where FBReader overrides the CSS. But I'm betting on case 3). I don't believe

4) "fbreader correctly understands the CSS, and then uses a heuristic to decide that it should allow user settings to override it. fbreader's heuristic needs to be improved so that it will choose to override the paragraph formatting CSS used by Smashwords".