View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post
With new memory making file-size a non issue and better, larger screens, I wonder if high-class page-design (without options) might be due for a comeback?

Any thoughts?
I don't think that there is any chance at all, at least for the vast majority of ebooks.

There is absolutely nothing about ebooks and ereaders acquiring the capability to display higher-class page design and typography that will magically give ebook creators either the artistic skill to create better designs and/or the publishers to spend the extra money to hire the better designers.

Paper books, in recent decades have generally been poor to horrid on average. Only a modest percentage of early hard back editions are more readable than my Kindle.

The current ebook formats (ePub2 & AZW/MOBI7) are like a loaded revolver. They can be put to good use by someone with the right skill, but can do damage when handled by the unskilled (or clumsy robots like Meatgrinder). ePub3 and AZW/K8 will simply replace the revolver with an Uzi, more power to do more harm when handled by the unskilled.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote