View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I had a watch like that, only it was a Star Wars watch (I doubt made by Pulsar). It was gray with a red LCD. I was just a kid back in the 70's and Star Wars had just come out.

The batteries (plural) lasted about three months, depending on how much I pressed the buttons.
Yup, the Pulsar was first and they cost an arm and a leg, and perhaps another arm too. They were like half the price of a Rolex. Then someone else (Casio?) came out with one in a black plastic case with a rubber strap for a reasonable price, but still not cheap.

Pretty soon the market was flooded with all kinds of cheap Mickey Mouse and Star Wars watches. Regardless, they still had the red battery hogging LEDs. About a year later someone made a black on grey LCD watch that was always on except, as someone said, they turned black in bright sunlight.

The point is that with an analog watch with real hands, you just had to glance at it and you knew what time it was. If you had to reach over with your other hand and push a button to turn it on you might as well just pull out a pocket watch. Same today, except the pocket watch is now a cell phone, and the smart watch needs to be always on to be very much more useful than that.`
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote