View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm old enough to remember the first digital watches. They were made by Pulsar, who incidentally is still in business, and had bright red LED displays. In order to conserve battery life you had to push a button to light up the display. What a PITA that was, just to see what time it was was a two handed operation, and sometimes two hands just weren’t available, as my right hand was sometimes busy doing something else.

So here we go again, if we learn anything from history it’s that we don’t! There is no way an OLED screen can be always on and have that tiny battery last all day. So what’s the answer? Pebble has an always on B/W e-paper display and Qualcomm TOQ has an always on color Mirasol display. As I said before, the pebble is half the price of the Gear, and the TOQ is expected to come in at about the same price.

I believe I’ll be waiting for the dust to settle.
I remember those RED LED watches too. Never got one though. I also remember the first black LED watches. If you exposed them to sunlight the whole screen turned black. After they cooled off they returned to normal. Needless to say it was not a good watch for outdoors in the Texas sun!