View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #322
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
According to my proposal the work of preventing illegal distribution of content is left to distributed trust bonds between people, not to the fear of (extremely unlikely though terrible) punishment as it is today. The reward for doing such prevention is the freedom for everyone of us to do with our media all the things (or most of them) that we would like to do, and are presently prohibited, illegal or unnecessarily difficult.
I see your proposal as completely fear-based. You are saying that the initial buyer is responsible for any breach of copyright. I would be afraid to loan someone a book under those circumstances--any carelessness on their part could result in my facing legal trouble.

Secondly, the people who actually commit the "crime" may easily get off scot-free--what's to connect them with MY file that may be several levels removed from their actions? I get blamed for something over which I had no control, about which I have no knowledge.

So your proposal in effect means NO loaning to anyone, no sharing with anyone, for fear of the consequences. There is no up side to this--if I let my e-book out of my possession, ever, or let anyone else use my computer where the books are backed up, I could be in hot water someday down the road.

With a scheme like this, a consumer would be better off going to a pirate site, getting books for free with other people's identifications attached to them, and then being able to share those books without fear of consequences--it's the original poor schnook who bought the books in the first place who gets screwed.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote