Thread: Reading speed
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
I don't doubt that people can read that fast. I explained above why I don't think that reading that fast can be satisfying. YMMV.
But you also said:

Quote:
My reading speed is the same whether I read to/for myself or I read aloud to others; I "act out", if you will, the words on the page in my head.
That is not the way that most people read, so you really can't compare your own experience with that of most people, who don't have need to "act out" the book as you do.

Eg, taking a page at random from the book I'm reading at the moment (Agatha Christie's "Ordeal by Innocence"), my normal reading speed for the page that happens to be shown on my Onyx T68 at the present time is 14s, but to read that same page out loud takes me 50s, which is three and a half times longer. If it took nine hours to read the book out loud (a typical time for an Agatha Christie audiobook), I could therefore read it in about two and a half hours.

Please don't tell me that I'm not appreciating the subtleties of the book, or that my reading can't be "satisfying". That's simply not true.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote