View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #25
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Thanks for generously offering your code. I took the chance and started working on it a bit. Well, to be honest, most of this work was stripping the sources down so I could take a look at how it works. But I thought that someone else might be interested in these stripped-down sources, or even the resulting Kindlet.

What I've changed:
- dropped the remote control interface for keyboard input
- dropped SSH support altogether
- enabled Telnet support
- dropped the interface for setting up hostname, user, password
- instead immediately do Telnet to localhost
- extended keyboard handling: combinations for symbols, mode switching

Short description of the keyboard handling: When holding down "Aa", pressing regular keys will produce symbols (see attached image for the corresponding K3 keymap). By pressing the middle button of the directional pad, you can toggle through modes, 1st is the symbol mode as if Aa was pressed, 2nd will send the following key with CTRL modifier, 3rd with ALT modifier, 4th with CTRL and ALT modifiers. Input modes are indicated in the title bar.

Rationale:
I just wanted a simple terminal and I did not fancy the native-code ones very much. SSHing to localhost did not make much sense when we can do telnet instead. SSHing to other hosts can be done from the command line.

You will (probably, in fact I did not really try...) need the changes to /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy as indicated in the OP.

The .azw2 in the ZIP is signed with the keystore you can find in the ZIP and the source tarball. See my Sudoku kindlet post to learn how to combine keystores: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114691 (I used the same keystore there, BTW).

And, of course, you will need to have telnetd running on your kindle. That said, you will most probably want to just setup and enable USB networking support.

BTW, a vt320 terminal should be backwards compatible to vt100 and vt200.
For the future, I'm planning to compile GNU screen and have that running in the background to have re-attachable shell sessions.

Feel free to further hack on the code!

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote