View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I'd have to disagree; the written wor(l)d allows you to build up your own internal world using the author's descriptions as a guide. That is why (I think) people are perennially disappointed with movie adaptations; they take away from your own imagination and impose the view of a director/casting crew (can you now think of Gandalf without picturing Ian McKellen? Exactly).

There will always be books and reading, I think, and it will always be a small subgroup of the total population who love to read. I've read some ancient Greek text where the author laments about how today's youth does not read and how the world is basically going to hell in a handbasket.

But at the same time I am not a snob about formats; a good story/shared experience is a good story/shared experience, whether it is in music, painting, sculpture, a play, a movie, the written word, VR, brainstem interface or whatever.
I hope you're right, but I don't think you are. I've got this nagging feeling that books and leisure reading will become all but extinct in the future, leaving behind a small holdout of readers.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote