View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Improving on the info I'm giving re pdf conversion problems

Quote:
How to ask a question about conversion problems
Conversion of ebooks from one format to another is complex. A conversion is the result of the interaction of thousands of different inputs and subsystems. In order to ask a question in a way that is likely to get help, you must provide at least the following information:

The file you are trying to convert. If the file is copyrighted then create an extract/sample that shows the problem, or use the calibre bug report system to create a bug with the file attached.
The conversion log from calibre. You get this by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right of the main calibre window and using the show job details button.
The output file, if any.
A description of what exactly the problem is. If there is an error message when converting then the full error message, which you can get by clicking the show details button on the error message.
A description of any conversion options you changed from the default

It is particularly important that you provide us with a way to reproduce your problem. That makes it much easier to answer your question. That means you provide at least the input file and a description of the problem as well as any non default conversion settings you use.
ok so in order,
the file I've chosen to report is one of dozens, but here it is.
Title: Mysterious Creatures_ A Guide to Cryptozoology, 2 Volume Set - George Eberhart.pdf
As it's copyrighted, I've uploaded only an excerpt:
File Attached: png image of one page with a graphic: "Mysterious Creature (page).png

create a bug with the file attached in the calibre bug system ... as far as I can tell, there isn't a calibre bug system in calibre, but outside the application there is a website at Launchpad where you can report new bugs etc. I think it's premature to use that here, so I think there must be some bug plug or something that I do not have installed that I'm meant to be using. I can't find it.

The conversion log from calibre:
very large. saved it as a text file:
conversion log 1
conversion log 2
Note: i noticed a boat load (many many pages of detailed log history) of hyphenation changes, so I changed my conversion specs to not include heuristic processing or hyphenation correction, reran it. (I had only started using heuristic processing after researching what was going on with my pdf conversion as somewhere I found a post recommending adding heursitic, changing the "split" amount to something higher, and something else I don't remember).

conversion output:
two sets, both included only collections of images which calibre's bug doohickey put into a directory called "input"
Both of them are very lengthy collections of images extracted from the pdf. some examples are attached.

Both conversions I ran tonight timed out at 10 minutes. I can't find how/where to change the timeout limit, but 10 minutes for one file does seem rather long...

I don't have conversion logs for the initial failures of my several hundreds of pdfs, however before I started messing around trying to fix this problem, the resulting failures were not time-out failures, but actual failures. I am sorry I did not figure out the log stuff until after I'd made so many changes.

My latest conversion options are as simple as possible:
default convert to epub with these exceptions:
a) confirmed no heuristic processing or special requests for hypenation, line changes, etc but does include a check box for the cover aspect ratio retention
b) The first conversion specified "tablet" (I think, that's what it's been on), the second specified "ipad" output, both did request insertion of updated metadata jacket and cover
c) input set as "generic"
I think that about does it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mysterious Creatures (page).png
Views:	195
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	109321   Click image for larger version

Name:	index-90_1.png
Views:	198
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	109326   Click image for larger version

Name:	index-488_1.png
Views:	210
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	109327   Click image for larger version

Name:	index-654_1.png
Views:	180
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	109328   Click image for larger version

Name:	index-708_1.png
Views:	191
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	109329   Click image for larger version

Name:	index-37_1.png
Views:	210
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	109330  
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Conversion log 1.rtf (950.6 KB, 1400 views)
File Type: rtf Conversion log 2.rtf (4.2 KB, 135 views)
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote