Thread: Literary Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Hello everyone!
This is the first time for me to write something here. Because I study in a german-speaking country, I don't get enough chances to speak and write something in English. So I hope, I could express myself smoothly and don't make myself misunderstood.

I don't consider what I am writing here as a book review, but something which can evoke our discussion. I finished reading the book one month ago and appreciate it so much. Because I got used to the writing style of some modernist german writers such as Thomas Mann or Robert Musil, I don't find anything interesting and attractive from the language of Mr. Zweig as their contemporary, which seems to me a little bit emotionless and objective. On the other hand I admire his skill of story telling, who could tell the common things like chess or chess matches between a world champion and a group of common guys in such an exciting and interesting way. His ability to discover the new side from a common thing and make it a vehicle of conveying a great subject like Racism or national persecution is quite impressive. How can an author express the severity of national racism and violence through a chess game and how can it make sense, that several things without clear relationship could be connected and embody a thinking, or a critique of another thinking. He achieved it from my point of view.

Now I would like to raise something that confuses me. Before I began to read it I hadn't read anything about the background of story. That means, I didn't know anything about what would happen. I just read and found the life story of the chess genius quite charming. I had thought, it would be a story with intention of psychological analysis of a eccentric talented man but I was wrong. This interesting figure is nearly forgotten as the story get a new figure in and turn to another direction, the so-called biological story of another man. The leading role in the beginning becomes a supporting role, and I can't find any sensible try from the author to balance this two figures and make a sense. Maybe I could express myself more clearly, but if you finish reading the book, you can easily understand what I mean. I just want to ask, is it that necessary to present the world champion and his life in such a detailed way?
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote