View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
3. I think chances and possibilities count for something and one genre having four chances/possibilities where all of the others have only three chances/possibilities is "unfair".

If there is anyway I can make my position any clearer please let me know.
Again, classics is not a genre. With the current list, we could have 12 months of classics, assuming people voted for 'em. Classic sci fi, classic horror, classic mystery.... you take my point or perhaps you don't.

All along, my position has been that it is important to take into account the preferences of various readers and that "majority rules" is not the best method to ensure that. I think two months of classics helps appeal to a broader spectrum, as there's a subgroup not very well served by SF/F and Mystery/Thriller/Horror. You disagree. We're never going to agree on that one, but crying "unfair" is really the stuff of playgrounds. It's not a case of fairness or unfairness, it's a case of competing visions on how to appeal to the broadest possible group. I recognize that, but I don't think you grant the classics claque the justice of their position, even if you don't agree with it. It's not inherently "unfair;" it's just different.

I didn't want a vote because I don't think votes take into account minority positions all that well, but so it goes. After all the talking's done, there has to be some way to decide. Could be benevolent dictatorship, a vote, whatever. I won't say I'm not pleased that the vote so far is in favor of keeping two classic months. But please, acknowledge that those who are voting along those lines are not voting for something that's "unfair."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote