View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Sony PRS-T3 and lighted case impressions

I visited the Sony store in Niagara Falls, Ontario this afternoon and they had the T3 in stock. They also had an open box T1 for $90 with extended warranty, and the T2 on clearance for $80, so I could compare all three. The store associates would not let me take pictures, and I chose not to buy the T3 for various reasons, so this will strictly be a written impression. I spent about 15 minute playing with the T3 and comparing it with its predecessors.

PRS-T3 Reader
The stock T3 with integrated cover felt nice in hand in book mode, but the with the integrated case flipped around to the back (how I usually read), the cover slides around, and made feel like I didn't have a good grip on it. But the back itself is a smooth touch rubbery plastic, similar to the T1/T2.

The bezel felt a bit narrow, but that could also be because I've gotten used to the T2 lighted case cover - it has the battery compartment which makes a nice grip. I did really like the rounded edges being totally exposed by the flap cover - very comfortable in hand compared to the snap in case edge n the T1/T2, but still not as nice as the clip system used by the 3/6/950 series.

The text is sharper than both the T1 and T2, but it's less obvious compared to the T2 because they are both using the same "Original" font, where the T1 used a different one. Brightness of the background was identical to my T1 and the display T2. I was hoping for a lighter background.

Software was basically identical. I knew my way around better than the 2 sales people who tried REALLY hard to sell me a T3. I meant to check out the dictionary options, but forgot.

In both the stock and the lighted cover, the T3 has a very slim profile. I would guess it is about the same size as the 350 in its lighted cover, perhaps a bit slimmer. So definitely very portable, and really light.

The lighted case:
This was a surprise, in both positive and negative ways. The integrated case popped off easily - they both use the same back plastic that snaps into place, and they both have a microfiber lining.

The lighted cover is powered by the T3, and has a super slim light that slides up out of the back.

The lighted cover has big negatives for me:
1. The light level is not adjustable. It was hard to judge in the bright store, but it appeared that the top was overlit and the bottom was underlit.

2. The light only engages when fully extended - so no way to adjust position. It comes straight up and over, and that's it.

3. The lighted case had a difficult time making contact with the power nodules on the back of the T3. Three of us fiddled with two different lighted covers cases and had this problem. So the only way I could get the light to turn on was to squeeze the left side of the device/case to force the case and nodules to make contact. I gave up, since I wasn't so thrilled with the first two problems.

Given the very small space involved in the lighted cover design, it doesn't take much to throw alignment off track - those power nodules are VERY tiny - there are two that are about the size of a ballpoint pen tip. I hope for Sony's sake this isn't a design flaw, just two faulty cases, or maybe an alignment problem with the display model. But I would suggest if you buy a T3 lighted cover - test it with YOUR device in store to make sure everything aligns properly!

So the T3 stayed at the store. I didn't feel the sharper screen was enough to justify moving up for the T2, and the lighted cover (and the fact that you HAVE to use a cover) is a negative for me.

YMMV. Happy shopping for your perfect reader!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote