Thread: Development tips on pe/ee development
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
tips on pe/ee development

I'm glad to see new development coming up and would like to share all my discovery during the developement of lcd2eink, and also all source code.

1.Architecture.
PE/EE is an android tablet with a reader panel which consists of an eink screen and 4 reader buttons (zoom,next page,previous page,app switcher),and a wacom touch. Android can only access the tablet. The reader panel is controlled by 3 esi natvie linux eink softwares(esireader,esicalendar,esijournal). Android reader/calander/journal apps use udp socket to communicate with eink software following a priviate application protocol, and in this way they work together.
2.How to use reader buttons and wacom touch in your development.
Thanks to linux,all key events,touch events can be captured by reading dev files. Read /dev/input/event1 you can get reader button events.value =1 means press, value = 0 means release;key code for app switcher button is 183,next page is 109,previous page is 104. I didn't use zoom button so I can't remember it's key,but you can try yourself. Read /dev/input/event6 for wacom event,
Write to /dev/input/event4 on pe or /dev/input/event3 on ee to fake touch in the tablet side.In lcd2eink I fake some touch while reading next page button press or previous page button press, so that the app running on android will think it has got a swipe on the screen.
Write to /sys/class/graphics/fb2/rotate then the display on eink will rotate.
Read /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness to get hte current birghtness of lcd and save it,write 0 to it to turn the backlight off. Write the saved value to it to bring backlight on.
3. /dev/graphics/fb0 is for lcd display, /dev/graphics/fb2 is for eink display,which may have been well known. Thanks vldmr for the ebclass . Thanks sunlifeng for the "trick writes frame buffer on EE".

I also attached the latest source code for lcd2ink fyi.( not the source code for the last released lcd2eink,but newer which includes some new feature that may confuse a user who is not a developer.)

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LCD2Eink.zip (57.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: zip jni.zip (43.8 KB, 208 views)
javese is offline   Reply With Quote