View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #178
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Vaesse - I haven't forgotten your request, but apart from having to spend the time updating other plugins I am waiting to see what if anything user_none is doing about changes to his APNX generation. The changes are mostly independent of each other but with all the other possible changes for this plugin I would rather make them all at once and be done with it for a while.

@Man Eating Duck - I wasn't aware of the word length readability comments you made, interesting. Personally I only have visible the word count column in my calibre UI from this plugin. Regardless of the debate over how page counts are computed (retrieved from a web page, calc'd from <p> tags or whatever), the simple fact is that you can more easily get a consistent result with word count.

The more "difficult" part for me and I suspect many others is training the brain to turn a whole new scale of numbers into something meaningful. As I have spent a lifetime reading paperbacks, I know roughly how many hours a book of a certain page size will take me to read. I have not bothered to figure out some "multiplier" to estimate a page count based on a word count (which could only be a range due to the well covered issues of page size, print size etc).

I'm more comfortable with it now than at first glance, but I still wouldn't say that in casual conversation if asked how long a book was that I would expect anything other than a blank stare if I said "120,000 words" instead of "500 pages" or whatever.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote