View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #911
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
To me the list also feels quite long to scroll through, I thought the best way to offer a lot of choice in a small space would be a colour picker.
I disagree. It's fantastic to have the exact (and very poetic, at the same time) colour nomenclature at our fingertips in Marvin. I get a thrill activating a "Battleship Grey" or "Schoolbus Yellow" font colour in Marvin now. A "colour-picker" is a technocratic, non-poetic solution.

I don't mind Kris giving us a colour-picker or colour-wheel in addition to the current list of colours, but whatever happens, please keep the current list of colours in its full extent. It's one of Marvin's most delightful features.

The only thing we need, is to organize that long list better, because it is indeed too long to scroll through now. As suggested, folders for shades of the basic 7 (+ white, black) colours, would seem like the ideal solution.

Quote:
There are some very cool backgrounds on the pages you linked, but I'd want them on a computer desktop or a website, definitely not behind text I want to read. I try hard to avoid everything that distracts my weary eyes.
Kretzer, your eyes are not my eyes. I assure you, Kretzer, that my eyes get weary precisely by looking at Marvin's current solid-colour backgrounds -- but they get refreshed (not distracted!) by looking at a textured background. I have years of experience with this, Kretzer, due to my use of the "Wood" (Day Mode) and "Bedroom" (Night Mode) structured backgrounds for years in Stanza. I'm missing them in Marvin a lot.

Each of us is different, ladies and gentlemen. Let's not try to enforce our private preferences onto everyone else. Just like I wouldn't presume to enforce my preference for textured backgrounds on Kretzer and Holymadness, I expect the same courtesy from them: not try to enforce solid-colour backgrounds on me.

Here is how you can instantly recognize top-quality software: it can oblige every user's preferences, without inconveniencing or confusing any user. Marvin can definitely achieve this here, by simply making textured backgrounds possible for those of us who prefer using them.

Quote:
a red and black background would seriously count as torture for me
That's just your private perception, Kretzer. I find that the black & red combo is exactly what I need, to keep me fully awake and alert when I read a book at night -- and I use that particular background in Night Mode, remember. I don't read books to put myself to sleep -- on the contrary: if I read a book at night, my mind needs to stay as sharp as if I was reading it in daytime. (Then again, I consider reading books my vocation, not a passtime.)

Exactly because you hate black & red, Kretzer, and I love it -- that's why I'm suggesting to Kris not to lose too much time over this, trying to oblige us all. Simply give us the option to use our own favourite structured (or simply photographic) backgrounds in Marvin, and that's that.

Quote:
You wouldn't even need a button, if you could set your background locally. Stanza lets you do that.
I think that's what I'm suggesting above, isn't it?

What I want Marvin to do: let me "integrate" (or whatever term you wish to use) 10 or 15 or 50 of my favourite screen backgrounds whose screenshots I posted earlier. The 10/15/50 textured backgrounds (or simply photographs, picked from the iPad's Photo app, its Camera Roll or any album) would be stored in Marvin locally -- no servers or anything like that is necessary.

And then, Marvin would give us an easy way to cycle/fast-switch through the display of all those 10/15/50 background textures effortlessly, using the 1-finger and 2-finger tap gestures, the way it's possible today to cycle/fast-switch through the 3 (solid-)Colour Themes.