Thread: Classy Calibre
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sorry you feel that way; frankly thoughgt there are many many people using Calibre without these issues.

Frankly, your problem points far more to issues with YOUR computer than anything else.. either a flaky hard drive or an already corrupted system.

Its safe to say the majority of uses DO have Anti-Virus in palkce and have NO issues at all.

Please don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Installing Any new software on a Failing computer is Lunacy.

I have done literally a Dozen instals (Linux and Windows), hundreds of update and never had Calibre 'Destroy all my Data' (I have corrupted the Metadata.db once or twice (and used the built in recovery tools) )

So Millions of installs and daily users (stats here: http://status.calibre-ebook.com/ ) ,
I would agree with Kovids snarky response to your accusation.

100% CPU is not unusual for conversions and some upgrades that perform significant DB updates.
You went from 7.17 to 8.52 There were many DB structure changes... That all have to be completed (happens automatic if not killed) in sequence, then there was the creation of the backup of the books metadata in each folder. None of these are healthy 'System Killers'. They can (really) make the system sluggish until they complete.

FWIW most off-the-shelf computers can take 100% CPU 24/7 when on Mains power (Ask any BOINC contributor I have killed a few CPU Fans over time, changed out the Fan and good to go. BTW The Fan alarm shut the system down.)

By Killing a DB update, who knows what state it was in and if it wold be recoverable.
The Backup metadata was limited to doing a few per second to NOT kill your usability, not to protect the HD. This step can take HOURS (number of book dependent) to complete the first time and was built to resume if not completed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote