View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #39
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
I don't like the automatic shut-off either. I think it consumes much more when you turn it on that what's saved by automatic shutting it down.
However I won't call anyone stupid, I won't offend any one. It's still one of my best expenses out there and I love the fact that Kobo reps and developers are listening to me.

I will simply ask them to improve this in the next firmware release. Give us a setting to set up how do we handle this situation: sleep time (5,10,15..., never) and auto off time (5,10,15..., never) and I am happy.

However I would totally "remove" the off feature (unless you keep the off button pressed for 10 seconds) and improve the Sleep feature. Put it to sleep not by a single light press of the off button, but after a second. Same for waking up.
This would still mean that the device consumes a little when in sleep mode, but everyone knows that a device "sleeping" is not really off and we can deal with the battery. It still will last a week!

This way we can:

1) When ON -> press the on/off button for 1 second -> sleep
2) When ASLEEP -> press the on/off button for 1 second -> awake
3) When ON/ASLEEP -> press the on/off button for 10 seconds -> off
4) When OFF, same as now.
5) When ON -> user selectable sleep timeout expires -> sleep
6) When ON/ASLEEP -> user selectable off timeout expires -> off
7) When ON, if battery is lower than 10% -> go to sleep
8) When ON/SLEEP, if battery is lower than 5% -> go off

In SLEEP mode: do not react to the buttons (except for the on/off one)
In SLEEP mode: show user selectable screen (sleep screen / volume cover)
In OFF mode: show user selectable screen (off screen / volume cover)

This way it can be sold with recommended settings (as we have it now), but users can change it. I don't care if it lasts 1 week less if I leave it in sleep mode as long as it lasts at least a week or so.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote