View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
JetBook Mini Review

I really liked the look of the Jetbook Mini, and so, when I had a little free cash, I ordered a Royal Blue Mini from NewEgg.

It's going back very soon.

It took me about 15 minutes to figure out which button did what. There was not an information sheet in the box. I had loaded an SD card with some books, already re-formated as fb2. The Mini would not read it. It took 3 cards to find one that it would read. My JBL will read all of them.

The Mini comes with a number of public domain books loaded in memory. Enough so there is no room to add another book without deleting one already loaded.

The manual is loaded on the Mini. That's the only place you'll find it. The manual says it's on the website with the other manuals, but it isn't. (http:/www.ectacto.com/support/manuals)

The font on the Mini is a very readable sans-serif font. Similar to Verdana.

Although there are 3 buttons on the front, the top and bottom buttons function as 2 each. The larger part is the Menu button (top), and the On/Off button and exit (bottom). The smaller part of each button is raised and acts as up and down buttons..

The center button acts as an "Enter" key or selection key.

I used a picture of the yellow model because the color contrast makes it easy to see the buttons and layout.

The Mini has a whole page of settings, but they don't really help the formatting of the book in any way. You can change the font size, line spacing, Alignment - Justify/left, indented or not.

The first time you open a book, the Mini has to re-format it. The manual says it takes about 40 seconds. I had a very long book that took 8 minutes. To get it to load, I had to change to auto-shut off time to 10 minutes.

FB2 books only load without pictures.

You must allow 20mb of free space for every 10mb of book. Text files require about 3% free of the total size.

I haven't tried the games.

Things I like. It has a clock. The size - it's just a little wider than a Jetbook, and about an inch shorter. Lined up with the Mini on top of the JBL the Bottom of the Mini is just about at the top of the Menu pad.

It rotates 360.

I'll keep it till the end of the week, and will be happy to answer any questions.

If anyone is interested in buying it, please contact me by PM.
jjm6383 is offline   Reply With Quote