View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I once planned to do so (and replace that modem by a Wifi card), but I never got to do it and then sold my KDX again. The Wifi card is still here on my desk :-)

However, I opened and dissected a (broken) KDX once. It is pretty obvious which part is the 3G modem, removing it should be a piece of cake. Be careful with the antenna connector to not bend it to much.

I have no idea whatsoever if it works afterwards. But I think it will. It might print some error messages to the log, I guess.

The hardest part is opening the device carefully without breaking anything. And for the KDX, it's still reasonable simple. Removing 3G modem is non-destructive, so you could re-insert it again.

As for power consumption: I guess you won't notice the difference at all compared to the soft-off state. It might power up at some times, but that's nothing compared to the time it's not powered.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote