View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
How did you figure out to add the folders to an SD card? I wasn't even going to use one!
When you tried to install books did you notice a brief pop-up message warning about a missing parent directory on the sdcard? I just gave it what it wanted.

Quote:
I suppose I'll have to do this although I'm not thrilled with the prospect. The initial installation was so painful. I really want to love this device, as I already love the form factor. I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying one of the newer Android tablet form ereaders.

I was so frustrated tonight I almost went out and bought an iPad. I was only saved because all three of my local stores only have 3G versions in stock and I would want the wi-fi only one.
You don't want to give up now. You may lose you earned geek bragging rights. Trust me, it will be much easier and quicker the second time since you now know all the steps. Hacking can be like solving a puzzle. If you love the form factor then stick with it for a little while. After using this device I realize now that the iPad, while being nice for PDF's and other things, from strictly a ereader point of view, is too darn big for carrying about. Besides I think I like the PD screen better - it doesn't burn my retinas like the iPad does and I think it presents clearer fonts, making reading more pleasurable.

From what I've read not many of the android tablets are ready for prime time. I'd be cautious. A Win CE device would be more mature. Many people are anticipating more android tablets later this year. Perhaps one of those may be exactly what your looking for. In the meantime you can use your PD and be comforted that you only spent a frugal sum.

Quote:
Do you know how to do this? To be imported the books should go on the SD card, into the ebooks/imported folder. Calibre just puts them into the ebooks folder and I can't find a way to change this.
I am not that familiar with Calibre. I don't know if it recognizes an attached PD. You may want to ask the developer. I would just locate the file on the PC and transfer it to the SD card manually.

BTW you may want to try Opera mini browser for android v5.1. It may crash once in a while but in its mobile view it is fast and easier to navigate than the default browser.

Last edited by akira28; 07-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.