View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Automatic startup of calibre-server on Windows

Hi!

I have been trying to configure Windows XP to automatically start calibre-server (with options) during system startup (boot process), but with no success.

The idea is to have calibre-server working in the background. Based on suggestions in the Calibre Forum and on my own fiddling with Windows, I can point out three approaches for automatically starting calibre-server:

1) Adding a Scheduled Task (as described in forum thread 74683)
This can only work for the automatic startup of calibre-server during a logon of a user. It can only work if the user defined in the scheduled task is the same user that is logging in. The startup opens a DOS (or CMD) window with "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe" in the window title.
Automatic startup during boot is unsuccessful regardless of user credentials.
2) Adding a Service (as proposed in thread 110212)
Unfortunately, any process based on this approach cannot be started and an error is displayed - "Error 1053: The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner" . This error has been reported in the referenced thread, but has not been tackled.
3) Adding "Run" entries in the Registry
Using "RunServices" entries in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" hive is not successful.
"Run" entries in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" hive can be used to automatically start calibre-server during user logon. During the logon, an text window is opened with "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe" in the title.
Does anybody know an alternative for starting up calibre-server during system boot?

By observing the results of different approaches, I think that the problem may be that calibre-server requires an I/O terminal. Maybe that's why it launches a text window and locks the CMD window if calibre-server is invoked via the command prompt.

It would be great if I could get calibre-server to work in the background!

Thx.
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote