View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #1162
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
"Outside your region", a simple VPN should cover that?
Question 1 is, whether you can use VPN directly on the Kindle Fire. Going through a PC = using only 25% of the features on Kindle Fire itself, would be quite inconvenient.
I hated this on nook classic for example. I had to buy the books on the PC via VPN and only then could download them via WiFi/3G on the nook. After a while there was a hack for VPN on nook itself, but it was a bit time consuming and the configuration got lost with every single firmware update.
Experience says: On a new gadget, in the first month or so, I'll buy stuff every single day. I'd like to do so on the gadget itself, else I wouldn't have to buy this stuff at all (I could convert eBooks via caliber, for example, instead of buying them again for the new gadget). Certainly would be way cheaper (I usually spend at least twice the buying price of the hardware for content in the first 2 to 4 weeks), but kills at least half the fun.

Question 2 is, whether VPN is working at all. For example, I never made it through the Google books checkout process. Obviously Google checks the credit card address and/or IP as well. Of course you can solve this as well (virtual credit card and such). But some of the tricks might not work on the gadget itself. And I usually find it too annoying to actually do so after a while (when the "new" factor has worn off).
On nook classic, for example, in the beginning I used my own SIM card and hacked the system accordingly. But at some stage I simply didn't want to reconfigure again after every single firmware update. At first this is fun ("cool, it's hackable"), after some time it's simply work ("oh man, I have to hack it again").
Meaning: Can you use all the features on the gadget itself, without spending too much time? A simple VPN, configured once on the unit, would be fine. But flashing firmware, hacking the system and such over time probably would annoy me and at some stage (2 months?) I'd stop bothering...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote