Thread: Glo Battery Depletion?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
A few observations for the peanut gallery:

First, on my unit I only have options for between five and sixty minutes for both sleep and power. Perhaps because it is a "special offers" unit, or because I foolishly changed them from "Never", if I indeed had such an option, thinking that said option would still exist in the drop downs.

{Shakes Head Right Back At You} Second, I do, in fact, read EVERY post of threads, however my brain is occasionally turned to mush due to prattle and by people who insist on FACT by virtue of authority, having never taken the time to determine the inner workings of technology for themselves. Pardon my taking the trouble to address an issue you apparently were not actually confronted with, but it was rather hard to rule out the possibility that you hadn't loaded a wonky ebook on one of the later machines which was consuming excessive power. OTOH, the one sure thing about free advice is that you often get value commensurate to what you paid.

Third, whether someone actually told you that your reader consumes no power because of the E-ink display in SLEEP MODE or you merely inferred it based on being told that an E-ink display only consumes power while updating, you're wrong in thinking the ereader as a unit consumes no power in SLEEP or OFF modes.

I have designed microcontroller based circuitry for nearly a decade, and microprocessor based control systems for even longer and I can assure you more power is consumed in SLEEP MODE than ultra low power modes generally referred to as OFF because in SLEEP contents of RAM must either be preserved with dynamic refresh which requires power, stored in Static RAM which requires power, or stored to & read from non-volatile memory upon entering/leaving SLEEP modes.(technically referred to most often as hibernation)

Sara -if you'll take the time to consult your own huffy little rejoinder above you might note that you simultaneously maintain:

"I find I hardly lose any charge at all in sleep mode."

"Sleep mode doesn't use any power because of the E-Ink technology."

So which is it, "hardly lose any charge" or "doesn't use ANY power"? I'll bet you it's the former. And yes, the two are contradictory.

Last edited by TechniSol; 11-15-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Floccinaucinilihilifilapacatering... really, look it up.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote