View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
John Package
John Package began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Kobo Glo internal storage frozen!?

TL;DR; It would appear that the internal storage of my Kobo Glo has entered some permanently frozen state. All existing books work fine, but any new books simply disappear from the file system. Firmware upgrades fail. Factory reset does nothing. Signing out has no effect. Deleted files magically reappear even after format.

---

So my girlfriend has been using a Kobo Glo for a couple of months. Earlier this week I downloaded and placed some new books on her Kobo Glo. After disconnecting the device from my PC the freshly added books were not available in the library. In fact, the Kobo Glo did not even trigger a library update. I reconnected the device to find that the folders and files I just created were gone. However, all the previous folders and files were still there. I copied the files again, did a proper eject from Windows, disconnected the device and.. still no books.

So I decided it was time for a firmware upgrade. This, unfortunately had no effect: The device would simply lockup at 100% download.

I signed the account out. The device restarted and.. I was signed in again!

Then I tried a soft reset with the pin-hole followed by a firmware upgrade: lockup at 100%.

Then I tried a true factory reset with the light-button disco-ball technique. The device takes a minute or two to restore, reboots and.. nothing has changed. All books are still there and my girlfriend's account is still signed in.

I reconnected the device to my PC and deleted the entire contents of the device, followed by a system format of the device. I disconnected and rebooted the device, only to find all the original books still present on the device. The device is fully functional. I can read all books and when I connect the device to my PC all files are still there.
John Package is offline   Reply With Quote