View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What is the greatest threat to the publishing industry?

I am curious, with all the talk about pirates or DRM free books or Creative Commons or whatever, what do people here (i.e. readers who care about reading) actually think is the biggest threat to the industry right now? My vote is that pirates, DRM etc all pale relative to the biggest threat of all, that more and more people simply don't read for fun...

So, of the items below, what do you think is the single biggest 'threat' to the publishing industry?

- Too many other entertainment choices; many people don't read at all
- Too many middlemen eating into profits and forcing higher prices
- Publishers/authors who are too scared to offer wanted content at all
- Hardware/software/books priced beyond what customers want to pay
- Pirates are stealing away customers and bringing ruination to us all
- Publishers put DRM on content people might buy if it did not have DRM
- Geographical restrictions exclude willing customers from buying books
- Other

Last edited by ficbot; 08-07-2009 at 04:10 PM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote