View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #1114
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld View Post
My request requires a standalone version: a careful cleanup of the code and get the unit running as it should (reading docuements) before introducing anything new. ... Those that dream of new bells and whisthles on "Touch" need to realize that a ereader is not pad and will never be. It is used for reading, not beta testing features irrelevent to reading.
I tend to agree. As I've said before, I primarily want to be able to get from book to book, and from book to annotation, seamlessly (and this includes grouping books together in a way that makes sense to me). I know for others, ease of getting into dictionaries is important too. From my point of view, that is where the emphasis on functionality should be - all those things are the core functions of an e-reader.

However, with my realist hat on, all manufacturers of e-readers have to be aware of the competition, and with other options available to the consumer, such as tablets, it is easy to see how there could be a pull towards putting more functions in. I think this is a mistake - it seems to me that the hardware (on the Touch anyway) is only just up to dealing with the basic functions, and the add-ons are causing problems. Maybe, as you say, a good clean-up of the code would help with both - basic functionality with room for some extras.

I'm so fed up with mine hanging regularly recently that I am regretting buying it.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote