View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Just as a note:

1. Windows never totally defragments everything. Some files cannot be, and some files aren't considered worth the effort (that is, after a while the defrag will stop when it becomes more effort to defrag further than it's worth).
2. At least 15% of your drive space must be empty - as you found out. But even if you have that much, it won't be a perfect defrag. The more free space you have, the better it works.
3. Defragment isn't super important any more due to changes in hard drive tech. As long as you run it once a month (or even every other) it's not a big deal if it does an imperfect job.
4. The more often you defrag, the easier each defrag stays. If you haven't defragged in months (or years) then it will be many times harder to defrag it.

If you really want to get a better defrag job done, it might be worth checking some third party software -- there is better stuff out there than the built-in windows one, though I fear I don't remember exactly which ones are worth downloading; I'll have to leave that advice to others. Don't pay for a defragmenter though, it's not worth it.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote