View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Stupid computer question

My question is regarding general computer maintenance, not e-books, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm reletively ignorant, so try to keep a straight face and use small words if you decided to reply

I finally tried to "defragment" my little laptop, which I've never done before and I've had the thing 2-3 years. First I had to clean off a bunch of junk files because it was apparently too full to do the operation. Then I did the "analyze", was advised that I should "defragment this volume", and hit "defragment". It churned around and came up with it's little graphic with the cute little colored lines and said it was done, but couldn't defragment some files. I hit "analyze" again, and it said that I "should defragment this volume". So I did. I've gone through this cycle several times, and it rearranges the little lines and the white spaces do get a titch bigger each time, and there are more blue bars (contiguous files) each time. But it ALWAYS says I need to defragment the damn thing when I analyze it.

Do I just need to keep at it to catch up somehow from not doing it for years? Is there anything I need to do with the report that it generates (which is pretty much gibberish to me).

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote