View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #345
jjallenupthehill
Enthusiast
jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The iPhone copied the radius and curvature of the F700 that was shown a year before (I see that you missed the important things on the thread like the fact that the F700 was first shown in 2006). Why would Samsung have to change their design just because Apple ripped it off?
Actually, it didn't. Please don't feel insulted if I say that your point about the appearance and rounded corners is visually ignorant. This comment is in the sense of relating to a level of visual subtlety that people who haven't designed anything don't appreciate, which means most people.

The radius isn't the same and the appearance isn't the same. It's similar, and I think it could be fair to say that it was likely to have been a source of inspiration. In reality, we know it isn't a rip-off because we have all seen the prototypes Apple made when considering the shape. Lots of the prototypes were similar to other phones around at the time, or around now. If it was a rip-off, the iPhone would have the same proportions and detail design features of the F700. It doesn't. The point is that there is far less similarity between Apple's iPhone and the F700, than there is between the Galaxy and Samsung's own F700! It's also a golden rule of design that you don't copy something unless you can improve it. In terms of the phone appearance (the hardware is a separate debate) it's not an improvement, and it's not even an advance.

If I asked you to design a phone with curved edges and sides, and a flush bezel, it simply wouldn't look much like the iPhone. How come all the other Android phone manufacturers' devices aren't rip-offs? They were influenced by the iPhone, but aren't direct copies.

I keep coming back to the point about being a designer, because it's germane to the argument. When you design something, you don't just start with a shape, produce a single version, and then build it. You start with your concept, and look at all the details. For example the radius, the bezel width, the flush fit, the positioning of the audio output and volume buttons, the curvature of the edges, the positioning of the speaker ('the slot' - not a card slot) the shape and size of it. All these things arise by design, not by accident. One or two things could be coincidental, all of them can't be. Why didn't they even introduce different colours? With the plastic back it was easy. That at least would have been an innovation, and arguably an improvement. The Samsung designers clearly copied Apple, because they chose not to copy their own design.

If we accept your apparent logic, Samsung's refinement of their design looks more like the iPhone than the Apple refinement of their own phone

And your point about the logo is stupid. Sorry but you can't slap a logo on a rip off product, point at the logo and say, "See, it's different, look at that".

This is proving my point about disingenuousness

Look, just accept that you would have to be blind or prove that the Galaxy design existed in that form before the iPhone existed to disprove the claim that it's a complete rip-off. We know that Samsung can't prove that, and we know that Samsung looked at the iPhone's UI design. We definitely know that Samsung looked very hard indeed at Apple's charger and packaging.

So - having looked at the whole picture, what is the overwhelming conclusion that any normal person ought to draw?

Come on - be sensible