View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not exactly what would be categorized as a apple person myself, but I'd have to say, this, especially after the iphone 5, I feel they've kinda been missing the mark lately. While I'm not generally one that's going to rush out and buy most apple products (I have philosophical disagreements with the way apple does things), in general I think most of their products have been pretty well packaged, and are generally decent products. But this ipad mini I just don't really get.

I think in this case, they were trying way too hard to make something that wouldn't canibalize either iphone or ipad sales, and have ended up with a product that falls awkwardly in the middle, with little compelling reason to go with it. Apple's spent way too much time and money promoting their "retina" display, that to produce the mini without it, *especially* when there's competing products out there that have a higher resolution than what they release, just seems pretty silly. On top of that, putting in a significantly older processor vs the current ipad, and it's pretty obvious that they're doing everything they can to not eat into the full sized ipad sales.

Now, I'll be honest, I always kinda felt this product was a questionable one for Apple. I honestly don't know how many people out there are going to feel they need both an ipad and an ipad mini. I'd expect most people would tend to pick one of the sizes, and only buy the one device. (Oh, I know, there's always the segment that will get both, but I don't feel it's the majority of people). And when you produce a mini at the prices that they did, I think that makes it an even tougher sell for someone to buy both.

And the pricing, that I have to be honest, I find borderline insane, especially at the higher end of the product. (I'd probably not find the pricing to be quite as bad at the bottom end if that price had been with the better processor and higher screen resolution.)
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote