View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Have received my magnets now. For those in the UK, you can get them here. The leather case I intend to put them in is here, and should be here next week.

After a little experimentation, I found that the smaller magnets I got, despite being very strong for their size (N52), are not strong enough to work the Glo's magnetic switch (but they are only 2x3x0.7mm - in fact they are so small that I can barely pick them up, so they would have been tricky to work with anyway).

However, after further fiddling and testing, I am quite hopeful that sticking one of the larger magnets (N35 neodymium bars 20x5x1mm) to a piece of sheet steel only about 25x10x0.8mm (in other words a couple of mm larger than the magnet all around) should be enough to "shield" the Kobo's magnetic trigger from the back side. So the overall size of the bit that goes in the cover will be 25x10mm, and under 2mm thick.

My plan is to make a small horizontal cut in the leather on the inside of the front cover, and slide the magnet/steel assembly up inside, then apply a little superglue to hold it in place and to reseal the leather. The other method that might work would be to put the steel sheet in the back cover behind the Kobo, but this would involve another cut in the leather cover. I also suspect that putting leather between the magnet and the steel would lessen the steel's efficiency in sucking up the magnetic field, as well as the uncertainty of the magnet and steel lining up perfectly once the front cover is folded around to the back cover (which would probably necessitate making the steel sheet larger to compensate).

On a side note, I'm also going to try to cut off the leather strap/clasp, and instead put two more magnets inside the edge of the front cover to line up with two inside the edge of the "sleeve" that retains the Glo. I don't want a clasp flapping about as I'm reading, and I couldn't find a cover like the one for my Touch that just snaps shut with hidden magnets. Actually, I might also put a couple more on the back side so that the front cover snaps tight to the back cover while I'm reading.

Magnet overkill! But I got ten, so I have to do something with them.

Last edited by markino; 11-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote