View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
After a little experimentation with a magnet I had to hand (actually inside my Touch cover), I think it might be possible to do it by sticking the magnet to a smallish piece of steel sheet, both of which go inside the front cover. Then the "magnet side" should trigger the on/off switch, and the steel panel side should suck up the magnetic field once the front panel is flipped around so that it doesn't trigger the on/off switch. I'm not sure how small I can make the steel panel and still have it work, but I would cautiously estimate that it should be possible to do it with a piece no bigger than a 1" square wafer (maybe 1/40th of an inch thick or so). Maybe a lot smaller will do. The main thing is that it's a magnetic material (eg steel).

I'm not sure a weaker magnet will solve the problem by itself, as I'm pretty sure that the magnetic switch is *under* the screen, so if anything the magnet is likely to be closer to it once the cover has been flipped around to the back.

I suppose it might have been easier if Kobo had made the magnetic switch sensitive to only one magnetic pole. Apparently Apple do this.

Ah well. Got a new cover and some mini magnets on the way, so will have a fiddle and report back...
markino is offline   Reply With Quote